The chancellor provides the vision and leadership for the state’s flagship land-grant university. She is responsible for all the activities on campus, including operations, academic programs, student life, athletics, and development. She reports to the president of the UT System.
A Message from the Chancellor
For 225 years, the University of Tennessee has been a beacon of light and leadership for the people of our state. Through times of great triumph and tremendous hardship, the state’s flagship land-grant university has been steadfast in its promise to deliver world-class education, life-changing research, and community support.
Today, UT remains at the forefront of learning and innovation in Tennessee and beyond. Our students are gaining unparalleled experiences through undergraduate research, study abroad, and community-based service–learning projects. Our faculty includes some of the world’s top experts in fields like advanced manufacturing and materials science, computation and data science, supply chain management, forensic anthropology, and nuclear engineering. Together with partners like Oak Ridge National Laboratory, we are working to solve some of our world’s greatest challenges and pushing the boundaries of what we understand about science and society.
As our nickname suggests, Volunteers have built our reputation on service, courage, and leadership. When critical moments demand bold action, you will find Volunteers ready to step forward to solve a problem, take a risk, and act with compassion and conviction.
I am proud to be the chancellor of a university committed to shaping the next generation of leaders, thinkers, and innovators that our world needs.
I am proud to be a Volunteer.
In April, Chancellor Plowman appointed the Re-Imagining Fall Task Force to lead the university’s planning efforts to re-open campus to students this fall.
- Preparations for the spring semester - We will expand strategies to prevent spread of COVID-19.
- Thank you for your hard work and commitment - We could not have made this semester a success without you.
- A Message from Quarantine - We must all do our part to help stop the spread.
- Chancellor’s Honors Banquet Nominations Open - It is time to honor the best academic and service achievements.
- Thank You, Veterans - Our veterans inspire all Volunteers to lead with courage. This Veterans Day, we pay tribute to their service.
- Voting and Civility - Vols, make your voices heard by voting! Remember to treat everyone with respect during this election season.