The chancellor provides the vision and leadership for the state’s flagship land-grant university. She is responsible for all the activities on campus, including operations, academic programs, student life, athletics, and development. She reports to the president of the UT System.
A Message from the Chancellor
For 225 years, the University of Tennessee has been a beacon of light and leadership for the people of our state. Through times of great triumph and tremendous hardship, the state’s flagship land-grant university has been steadfast in its promise to deliver world-class education, life-changing research, and community support.
Today, UT remains at the forefront of learning and innovation in Tennessee and beyond. Our students are gaining unparalleled experiences through undergraduate research, study abroad, and community-based service–learning projects. Our faculty includes some of the world’s top experts in fields like advanced manufacturing and materials science, computation and data science, supply chain management, forensic anthropology, and nuclear engineering. Together with partners like Oak Ridge National Laboratory, we are working to solve some of our world’s greatest challenges and pushing the boundaries of what we understand about science and society.
As our nickname suggests, Volunteers have built our reputation on service, courage, and leadership. When critical moments demand bold action, you will find Volunteers ready to step forward to solve a problem, take a risk, and act with compassion and conviction.
I am proud to be the chancellor of a university committed to shaping the next generation of leaders, thinkers, and innovators that our world needs.
I am proud to be a Volunteer.
- Commencement Ceremony Update - We have plans to create one more special memory.
- Supporting the Austin-East Community - Austin-East is an important and vibrant part of our UT community.
- Bringing Our Community Back Together - Staff should plan to return to campus by June 1.
- Baker Center Director Matt Murray to Retire - An internal search for a new director will launch immediately.
- Everyone is Responsible for Safety at UT - Safety is an important cultural expectation here at UT. It's everyone's responsibility.