The chancellor provides the vision and leadership for the state’s flagship land-grant university. She is responsible for all the activities on campus, including operations, academic programs, student life, athletics, and development. She reports to the president of the UT System.
A message from the chancellor
For 225 years, the University of Tennessee has been committed to serving the people of Tennessee. Today, we continue to deliver on that promise with world-class education, life-changing research, and economic benefits for the state.
I believe education is for everyone. A college degree means a better job, more opportunities, and the chance to create meaningful change for yourself, your family, and your community. As the state’s flagship institution, we are solving our state’s biggest challenges and shaping its next generation of great thinkers and leaders.
The legacy of Volunteers is the willingness to stand up and say “I’ll go.” Volunteers lead with courage and pride.
I am glad to be here on Rocky Top. We have the opportunity to take the University of Tennessee to the next level, and I know that together we can achieve big things.
- Our leadership principles - Let’s all commit to being the best we can be as a campus community in this new year.
- Division of Student Life Leadership Change - Vice Chancellor for Student Life Vince Carilli is leaving the university. A national search for a new permanent vice chancellor will begin immediately after the winter break.
- Next Steps in UTIA–UTK Reunification - To sustain the positive momentum created by the UTIA–UTK Reunification Committee 2019 report, five working groups will be established to provide recommendations on the reunification process.
- Celebrating this semester and looking ahead to the next - As we head into the final stretch of this semester—my first as your chancellor—I have been inspired by the incredible experiences and the successes we have shared.
- Chancellor’s Day of Service - Make a difference on Rocky Top and embrace what being a Volunteer is all about. Join Chancellor Donde Plowman on November 15th for a day of volunteer service.
- Investiture Highlights - It was a historic day at the University of Tennessee as Donde Plowman was formally inaugurated as our ninth chancellor and laid out her vision for the future of the university.