- Oversees all academic programs, admissions, enrollment, and records
- Leads curricular and academic policy issues
- Serves as liaison with graduate and undergraduate councils
- Administers graduate programs and services
- Oversees the Institute of Agriculture, which includes the Herbert College of Agriculture, the College of Veterinary Medicine, AgResearch, and UT Extension
- Supports statewide programs with presence in all 95 Tennessee counties
- Liaison with external partners and stakeholders for education, research, and Extension programs
- UTIA campus leadership for advancement, communications, finance, facilities, and international programs
- Manages campus budget and finance
- Oversees fiscal policy compliance
- Responsible for sponsored projects accounting
- Processes nonresearch contracts
- Manages the campus master plan, capital construction, maintenance, and beautification projects
- Directs campus operations and services including environmental health and safety, facilities services, information technology, police, parking and transit, motor pool, warehousing, bookstore, printing and mail, records management, ID cards, dining, and vending
- Oversees campus marketing and public relations efforts
- Directs external and internal communications
- Directs creative services and promotes brand and identity standards
- Oversees WUOT (UT’s National Public Radio station)
- Manages video and photography assets
- Leads the team responsible for all campus fundraising and alumni programs, along with additional fundraising teams
- Oversees development of fundraising strategy, goal setting, priorities, policies, and procedures for private giving and donor recognition
- Coordinates fundraising efforts in each college in conjunction with the dean
- Oversees all alumni engagement efforts, annual giving, donor relations, and stewardship initiatives
- Manages relationships with key volunteer groups including the UT Knoxville Alumni Board of Directors, Chancellor’s Associates, Black Alumni Council, and Young Alumni Council
- Serves as primary liaison with UT Foundation
- Leads the university’s research enterprise, developing and implementing research plans, building innovative partnerships, and raising the university’s national and international reputation.
- Works closely with the provost and partners at Oak Ridge National Laboratory to launch and oversee the Oak Ridge Institute.
- Strengthens links with the external corporate and not-for-profit community, in national and international arenas, articulating and implementing the overall vision for partnerships to promote research.
- Energizes and grows the university’s research enterprise by providing focus and support to secure grant awards from governmental and private sources.
- Fosters active research engagement of faculty and students, assists faculty with research proposals and contracts, and provides funding for seed projects, graduate student support, proposal matching, and new faculty startups.
- Tracks research funding and activity.
- Support research compliance programs and training in the responsible conduct of research.
- Manages and leads the out-of-classroom student experience
- Manages student support services including career services, student engagement and recreation, student health, counseling and wellness, disability services, and student conduct
- Directs the efforts of the Office of the Dean of Students, Student Union, Center for Leadership and Service, and New Student and Family Programs, among other departments
Chief of Staff, Chancellor’s Office
- Handles matters of institutional importance on behalf of the Chancellor as requested and as appropriate.
- Provides coordination for issues that come to the Office of the Chancellor and oversees the operations of the office, including management of staff.
- Serves as a conduit through which key stakeholders can communicate efficiently with the Chancellor.
- Helps ensure linkages within the Chancellor’s Cabinet and with senior administrative leaders to ensure cohesion, responsiveness, and operational effectiveness.
- Champions, leads, and executes the Diversity and Inclusion Pillar of the Vol Vision 2020 strategic plan
- Serves as chief liaison to the Chancellor’s Commissions, CDI, and Faculty Senate and SGA diversity committees
- Supervises the Office of Equity and Diversity
- Develops programs that serve to educate the campus community on matters associated with diversity and student engagement
- Prepares students for a diverse and intercultural workforce
- Oversees men’s and women’s intercollegiate athletics
- Strives for comprehensive excellence and enhancement of the fan experience
- Ensures compliance and strategic and efficient management
- Focuses on the overall development of student athletes